July 21 — Insect Insanity
Let’s celebrate Incredible Insects and Amazing Arthropods! The Sonoran Desert is a hot spot of insect diversity and this is your chance to meet them. Tonight, get a bugs-eye view of many of the million species of arthropods that make the Sonoran Desert their home.
- 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. Fine Art Exhibits for All!
- “Becoming Animal” explores the artificial breach between humans and the natural world. Through the use of black and white photography, Schafer reminds viewers that humanity’s deepest fear is not that we are separate from nature, but rather that we are a part of it. This exhibit provides a space for reflection and allows guests an engagement opportunity to form deeper relationships with the non-human animals of the planet.
- 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. Flute Players
- Relax, cool off and sample the soothing sounds of Native-American inspired flute music.
- 8:00 p.m. Insect Presentation
- 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Arthropods, Pollinators, Arts, and Crafts
- Throughout the Night
- Look for Museum Docents around the grounds interpreting live animals, celestial desert skies, fluorescent minerals, bats, kissing bugs, scorpions, rattlesnakes, and more!
- 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Stingray Touch Exhibit
- Admission: $2 Members / $3 Non-Members
Visitors are able to create their own moments with these captivating creatures at the Stingray Touch experience. The pool features cow nose stingrays that guests can interact with. Be touched by a ray!
- 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Packrat Playhouse
- This indoor (air-conditioned) play space allows children to discover the desert through the eyes of a packrat. Kids can slide down a Gila monster's tail, climb through prickly pear cactus pads, slither through an oversized rattlesnake, explore secret tunnels, scramble in giant rope netting, and much more!