Sat, 07/14/2018 - 6:00pm
July 14 — Astronomy Night
Join the experts from the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO), Tucson Amateur Astronomers, and Desert Museum docents for a star-studded evening adventure — complete with star gazing and lots of solar system hands-on activities.
- 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. Fine Art Exhibits for All!
- “Becoming Animal” explores the artificial breach between humans and the natural world. Through the use of black and white photography, Schafer reminds viewers that humanity’s deepest fear is not that we are separate from nature, but rather that we are a part of it. This exhibit provides a space for reflection and allows guests an engagement opportunity to form deeper relationships with the non-human animals of the planet.
- 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. NOAO Kitt Peak Activities
- Enjoy interactive and educational solar system activities from National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO) Kitt Peak. Great for families!
- 7:00 - 9:30 p.m. Telescope Stations
- Stargaze through high-powered telescopes and marvel at the wonders of the night sky.
- 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. Flute Players
- Relax, cool off and sample the soothing sounds of Native-American inspired flute music.
- 8:00 p.m. Astronomy Presentation - Kevin Hainline
- Throughout the Night
- Look for Museum Docents around the grounds interpreting live animals, celestial desert skies, fluorescent minerals, bats, kissing bugs, scorpions, rattlesnakes, and more!
- 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Stingray Touch Exhibit
- Admission: $2 Members / $3 Non-Members
Visitors are able to create their own moments with these captivating creatures at the Stingray Touch experience. The pool features cow nose stingrays that guests can interact with. Be touched by a ray!
- 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. Packrat Playhouse
- This indoor (air-conditioned) play space allows children to discover the desert through the eyes of a packrat. Kids can slide down a Gila monster's tail, climb through prickly pear cactus pads, slither through an oversized rattlesnake, explore secret tunnels, scramble in giant rope netting, and much more!
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, 2021 N. Kinney Rd., Tucson AZ 85743
Share this story on Twitter.